VMHC Veterans Resource Guide
The Veterans Mental Health Coalition of New York City is proud to offer this free Veterans Resource Guide to veterans and military families who are seeking services.
In order to increase accessibility to outside agencies, VA NY Harbor (Manhattan and Brooklyn VA Medical centers) has created a page on our website designed specifically for inquiries from community partners.
This page provides our community partners with an overview of VA Mental Health Services for emergency and urgent care, links to information about the VA and VHA Mental Health, mobile and online apps, and resources for training New York City community partners. In particular, there is a mechanism to submit requests for additional information/referrals. We are commited to providing a timely response ( within 2 working days).
- Fact sheet on veterans’ mental health needs, utilization of services, and barriers to accessing care.
- Building and Strengthening Connectedness to Prevent Suicide Among Veterans, by Kimberly Williams, Huffington Post, June 2013.
- Veterans Deserve Better Mental Health Care, by Kimberly Williams, Huffington Post, February 2011
- Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/VMHCNYC
The following presentations were prepared by experts in the field of veterans’ and/or mental health who have shared their knowledge at Veterans’ Mental Health Coalition of NYC meetings and educational events.
- December 2012- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Dennis Romero, MA, Regional Administrator, Region II (NJ, NY, PR, U.S. VI)
- September 2012- In My Own Words Presenter Biographies
- March 2012- Reintegration Issues Facing Veterans and IAVA’s Efforts to Connect With Veterans, Jason Hansman, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- January 2012- Veteran-Civilian Dialogue, Scott Thompson, Intersections International
- September 2011- Military Cultural Competency for Providers, Adriana Rodriguez, LCSW and Rebecca Wynn, JBFCS’ Home Again Veterans and Families Initiative
- June 2011- Changes to the New (Post 9/11) GI Bill, Andy Roberts, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
- June 2011- VetSuccess Orientation, Leslie Monsen, VA
- April 2011- Emerging Treatments in PTSD, Megan Olden, PhD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- February 2011- Needs Assessment of NYS Veterans: Overview of the Study and Key Findings, Pamela Riley, PhD, New York State Health Foundation
- December 2010- Patient Aligned Care Teams, Ilysa Michelson, Psy.D., VA
- September 2010- VA Mental Health Services in NYC and Long Island, Ann Feder, VA
- June 2010- Suicide Among Veterans, Lidia Bernik, Lifeline
- May 2010- Veterans Initiative, Charles J. Hynes, Kings County District Attorney
- May 2010- Veterans Justice Outreach Initiative, U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- March 2010- Family and Parenting Issues for Service Members and Veterans, Kathleen Moakler, Government Relations Director, National Military Family Association
- January 2010- Project for Return and Opportunity in Veterans’ Education (PROVE)
- December 2009- West Midtown Medical Group Diagnostic and Treatment Center (Overview)
- December 2009- Military One Source Program Overview, Alicia Russo, NYS Military OneSource
- November 2009- Planning for Safety: The End of No Suicide Contracts, Yvette Branson, Ph.D., VA Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- October 2009- Overview: NYSHealth Initiative for Returning Veterans and Their Families, The New York State Health Foundation
- June 2009- VA 101: An Introduction to the United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Greene and Triebenbacher, VA
- June 2009- Your New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs, Wlliam Kraus, New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs
- May 2009- Military 101, Deployment and Military Family Programs, Amy Maniscalco, Brooklyn Military Family Assistance Center
- May 2009- Veterans’ Health Alliance of Long Island, John Javis, Mental Health Association of Nassau County